Colleges and universities are the training grounds for our younger generation. It’s where they acquire and develop competencies, and work values essential to community development. Schools must be able to provide the best education to the students for them to be productive contributors to development.
According to QS World University Rankings in 2023, here are the top 10 Universities in the world. 
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, USA – Rating: 100%
- University of Cambridge – Cambridge, United Kingdom – Rating: 98.8 %
- Stanford University – Standford, USA – Rating: 98.5 %
- University of Oxford – Oxford, USA – Rating: 98.4%
- Harvard University – Harvard, USA – Rating: 97.6%
- California Institute of Technology – Rating 97%
- Imperial College, London – Rating: 97%
- University College, London – Rating:95%
- ETH, Zurich Switzerland – Rating: 93.6%
- University of Chicago – Rating: 93.2%
These universities were rated according to the following metrics: 
- Academic Reputation(40%)
- Employer Reputation(10%)
- Faculty/Student Ratio(20%)
- Citations per faculty(20%)
- International Faculty Ratio(5%)
- International Students Ratio(5%)
The information provided by the QS World Ranking would give us an idea of what matters most in classifying excellence among major universities in the world.
Now, let’s zoom in to our own communities and look at our preferences in choosing universities where students want to study. You may base your answers on the information provided by QS.
So, let’s answer the following questions:
- Which university do you plan to attend?
- Why do you want to study at that university?
To answer these questions, you need to know the name of the university where you plan to go and at least three reasons why you want to study there. Defenses should focus on the quality of education, facilities, and graduates of that university. Some may have other reasons like lower tuition fees, nearer distance to home, etc. The most important thing is you should be able to provide positive reasons why you plan to attend that university.
Which university do you plan to attend and why do you want to go there?
I plan to go to _________ University because first, they have excellent faculty. Most of their professors come from reputable universities abroad. Second, they have excellent facilities. I like the canteen very much where they serve famous Thai food. They have a digital library too. They have e-books that are easily accessible and they have an excellent fitness center. Lastly, they have a record of high passing rates in the board examinations. These are the reasons why I want to study at _________ University.
Now, it’s your turn to practice answering the questions.
Questions may vary like the following:
- What university do you want to go to?
- Which university do you plan to go to?
Congratulations students. Now you have learned how to choose a university and reason out why you want to go there. In the next lesson, we are going to learn what are some of the most common requirements of universities for you to be able to enter.