What kind of food do you like to eat?
Different ways to describe food.
1. tasty – delicious, so good to eat.
I really think that cooked vegetables are tasty.
I really like to eat roasted beef. It’s tasty.
2. tasteless/ bland – doesn’t have a lot a flavor
I ordered at this restaurant and the food were tasteless. They had no flavour at all. They were tasteless and that made me very sad.
I prefer eating meat than vegetables. I think vegetables are tasteless.
Steamed vegetables are tasteless unless you have a tasty dipping sauce.
3. flavourful – a lot of flavour
I like flavourful food. I like it to be spicy.
4. divine – (means like a god) it means so good.
I love to go home and eat my mom’s cooking because her cooking is divine, it is so good.
5. fit for a king – so good that a king would eat it.
– I really enjoy eating Indian cuisine because I think Indian cuisine are fit for a king.
6. rich in flavour – flavourful/ a lot a flavour.
I really like Thai food. It’s flavourful.
7. to my taste – the way you prefer your food.
I get my Indian cuisine to my taste, very very spicy.
I like my coffee with 1 sugar and two creams, perfectly to my taste.
Types of Tastes Flavours and Textures
Question: What food do you usually like to eat?
Answer: I like to eat…
– sweet, sour, bitter, salty and umami (savory) are universally recognized, although some cultures also include pungency and oleogustus (“fattiness”). pungent- smelling or tasting very strong and sharp – e.g. coffee
1. sweet – candy/ fruit/ – with sugar
2. salty – has salt – French fries, potato chips.
3. savory – flavourful – usually cooked food you feel full and satisfied.
Ex. hamburger, pizza
4. sour – lemon, vinegar, tamarind
I never like to eat sour food.
I really enjoy the sour taste so sometimes I add some lemon juice to my water.
5. spicy – hot – pepper, chili, ginger.
The flavor of fresh ginger is slightly peppery and sweet, with a pungent and spicy aroma.
I hate spicy food so I try to avoid cuisines that are known for being spicy.
I love spicy food so much that I like to cry when it is so spicy.
6. bitter – a sharp, pungent, or disagreeable flavor.
I love the bitterness of bitter melon. It makes me drink more water.
7. umami – corresponding to the flavor of glutamates, especially monosodium glutamate.
Some foods that are high in umami compounds are seafood, meats, aged cheeses, seaweeds, soy foods, mushrooms, tomatoes, kimchi, green tea, and many others.
1. creamy – thick and soft, smooth – you don’t have to chew it
2. crumbly food– falling apart – crackers , pie crust
I love to eat pie and I especially love the crumbly pie crust.
3. greasy – oily food – pizza
I try to eat too much greasy food because I know it’s not good for me even though I love it.
4. gooey – like creamy but a little more solid. also thick and soft. – cheese, mozzarella sticks
5. moist – a little wet – tofu
I really don’t like the moist texture in my food so I never liked to eat tofu.
6. mushy – soft and pulpy/ able to be crushed – banana, mashed potatoes.
I love to eat mashed potatoes because I love the mushy soft texture of it.